Disclosure: There might be affiliate links on this page. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This means I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links but it will be at no additional cost to you.
The Solar Plexus Chakra serves as the core of our personality, identity, and ego.
If you find yourself struggling with self-confidence, willpower, or self-esteem, it may be a sign that your Solar Plexus Chakra is unbalanced.
In this article, we will explore the basics of the Solar Plexus Chakra and how to balance and heal it. We will also discuss the signs of both a blocked Solar Plexus Chakra. But first, let’s begin by understanding what it is.
What Is the Solar Plexus Chakra?
The Solar Plexus Chakra is the third primary chakra of the seven chakras system. Located above the Sacral Chakra and below the Heart Chakra, it is situated in the upper abdomen area between the belly button and rib cage. It is associated with the color yellow and symbolized by a ten-petaled lotus flower. In Sanskrit, it is known as Manipura, which means “lustrous gem.” It can be interpreted as a place where we hold our inner treasures and personal power.
The term “solar plexus” comes from Latin, meaning “plexus of the sun.” This name was chosen due to the network of nerves in the abdomen that radiates outwards like the sun’s rays. Hence, this chakra is often referred to as the “yellow chakra”, which represents joy, optimism, and vitality.
The Solar Plexus Chakra governs our feelings of self-worth, willpower, and personal power. It is the source of our motivation, confidence, and determination to achieve our goals. It is also responsible for our digestion and metabolism, making it vital for physical health as well.
Basic Information of the Solar Plexus Chakra
Sanskrit name: Manipura
Other names: Navel Chakra, Third Chakra
Location: Upper abdomen area between the belly button and rib cage
Associated body parts: Digestive system, liver, pancreas, adrenal glands
Orientation to self: Self-Definition (Ego)
Purpose: To find our power
The Significance of the Solar Plexus Chakra
The Solar Plexus Chakra plays a vital role in our overall well-being. Serving as a guiding force, it helps us channel our willpower and direct our energy towards activities that truly matter to us. It gives us the courage to take risks and face challenges head-on, knowing we have the strength to overcome them. It also sparks transformative change and propels us to take action.
This chakra nurtures autonomy, allowing us to voice our dislikes and take charge of our lives. It fosters impulse control and helps us accomplish and focus on tasks that bring a sense of purpose. Associated with digestion and metabolism, this chakra also helps us to process our emotions and experiences, digesting them just like we would food.
When it is balanced, we feel confident, motivated, and possess a healthy sense of self-worth. We feel empowered to set boundaries and make decisions that align with our true desires and goals. On the flip side, an imbalanced or blocked Solar Plexus Chakra can lead to low self-esteem, lack of confidence, and decision-making struggles. It can also manifest as digestive issues or physical exhaustion.
Signs of an Imbalanced Solar Plexus Chakra
An imbalanced or blocked Solar Plexus Chakra can have a wide range of effects on physical, emotional, mental, behavioral, and spiritual aspects, just like all chakras. Some common signs of an imbalanced Solar Plexus Chakra include:
- Digestive issues such as indigestion, stomach aches, and ulcers
- Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) or diabetes
- Adrenal gland disorders
- Chronic fatigue
- Eating disorder
- Low self-esteem and self-confidence
- Fear of rejection and criticism
- Lack of motivation and willpower
- Being passive-aggressive
- Easily angered or irritated
- Lack of focus and direction in life
- Trouble setting boundaries and saying no
- Self-centered, need to be right and competitive
- Highly critical of themselves
- Blaming other people for your problems
- Perfectionism and controlling tendencies
- Overworking and neglecting self-care (excess in energy)
- Inactive and laziness (deficient in energy)
- Inability to follow through on things or complete tasks
- Excessive need for approval and validation from others
- Feeling disconnected from your inner power
- Difficulty tapping into your intuition and higher self
- Feeling powerless like a victim in life
- Struggle to find a sense of purpose and life direction
- Feeling trapped and lacking freedom
These are just some of the signs that may indicate an imbalance in your Solar Plexus Chakra. However, it is essential to remember that everyone experiences imbalances differently, and there may be other signs not mentioned here.
What Is Blocking Your Solar Plexus Chakra?
Many factors can contribute to an imbalanced or blocked Solar Plexus Chakra. Some of the most common causes include:
- Childhood experiences: The development of our chakras begins in childhood, and any negative experiences during this time can impact their functioning. For example, if a child is constantly criticized or made to feel inferior, it can create low self-esteem and a lack of confidence.
- Controlling parents: Similarly, if a child grows up with controlling parents who don’t allow them to express themselves or make decisions, it can create an imbalance in the Solar Plexus Chakra.
- Traumatic events: Significant traumatic events can also cause blockages in our chakras. These can include physical or emotional abuse, bullying, or any experience that makes us feel powerless and undermines our sense of self-worth.
- Cultural conditioning: Certain cultures or societies may have beliefs or norms that suppress the expression of personal power and self-confidence, leading to imbalances in the Solar Plexus Chakra.
- Negative thought patterns: Our thoughts and beliefs play a significant role in our chakra health. Negative thought patterns such as self-doubt, perfectionism, or fear of failure can create blockages in the Solar Plexus Chakra.
Imbalances in this chakra can occur due to either excessive or deficient energy flow. If the Solar Plexus Chakra is overactive, it can manifest in traits such as arrogance, aggression, and a need for control. On the other hand, a deficient Solar Plexus Chakra may result in low self-esteem, lack of confidence, and an inability to make decisions.
Understanding the energy levels of your Solar Plexus Chakra will guide you in healing and restoring balance to this vital energy center.
What Harms the Solar Plexus Chakra?
To maintain a healthy Solar Plexus Chakra, it is essential to understand what can harm or block its energy flow. Some common factors that can negatively impact this chakra include:
- Unresolved emotions: Suppressed or unexpressed emotions can create blockages in the Solar Plexus Chakra. It is essential to acknowledge and release any pent-up feelings to keep this chakra balanced.
- Physical tension or illness: The Solar Plexus Chakra is associated with the digestive system, and physical tension or illnesses in this area can affect its energy flow.
- External influences: Our interactions with others can also impact the Solar Plexus Chakra. Negative relationships, criticism, or constant comparison to others can create imbalances in this chakra.
- Giving your power away to others: When we allow others to make decisions for us or constantly seek validation from external sources, it can cause a deficiency in the Solar Plexus Chakra.
- Negative self-talk and self-shaming: The Solar Plexus Chakra is connected to our sense of identity and self-worth. Constant negative self-talk or self-shaming can harm this chakra and create imbalances.
As we heal ourselves, it is crucial to be mindful of these factors that can impair the Solar Plexus Chakra. By addressing and releasing these negative influences, we can restore balance to this chakra and allow its energy to flow freely once again.
How to Heal and Balance Your Solar Plexus Chakra
1. Identify the areas where you give your power away and take back control.
As mentioned earlier, giving our power away to others can negatively affect the Solar Plexus Chakra. Take a moment to assess your relationships and identify any areas where you feel like you are not in control of your own life. It could be in your personal or professional life, with friends, family, or romantic partners. Once you have identified these areas, take steps to assert your own power and autonomy.
For instance, if you constantly prioritize others’ needs and let them decide what to eat or where to go, it is important to start making your own decisions and voicing your opinions. This might feel uncomfortable at first, but it is a necessary step to balance the Solar Plexus Chakra and reclaim your personal power.
It is also important to be mindful of the moments when you find yourself complaining and placing blame on others for your misfortune. Such behaviors indicate that you are relinquishing your power and responsibility to someone else. Instead of resorting to blame or being the victim, ask yourself what you can do to change the situation and take proactive steps towards it. By doing so, you assert control over your circumstances and foster personal growth.
2. Practice self-love and positive affirmations.
To combat negative self-talk and self-shaming, it is important to practice self-love and positive affirmations. Set aside time each day to focus on yourself and your worth. This can be through meditation, journaling, or simply taking a few minutes to reflect on your positive qualities.
You can also try repeating positive affirmations such as “I am worthy,” “I am confident,” or “I trust myself” to reaffirm the importance of self-love and build confidence. As you continue to practice positive self-talk, you will notice a shift in your mindset and a boost in your self-confidence.
Also, don’t wait or rely on others to affirm you. Remember that your worth and power come from within, not from external validation. Embrace and celebrate your strengths and uniqueness and let go of any limiting beliefs or negative thoughts about yourself.
3. Take risks and step out of your comfort zone.
The Solar Plexus Chakra is associated with taking risks and embracing change. When this chakra is balanced, we feel confident and empowered to take on new challenges and opportunities. However, when it is blocked or imbalanced, we may experience fear, self-doubt, and resistance towards change.
To activate your Solar Plexus Chakra, try stepping out of your comfort zone and taking risks. This could be as simple as trying a new hobby or pushing yourself to speak up in a group setting. By facing your fears and embracing change, you are strengthening your Solar Plexus Chakra and building confidence in yourself.
Remember that growth and success often come from stepping out of our comfort zones. Trust in yourself and your abilities, and know that you are capable of handling whatever comes your way.
4. Figure out what your values are and live by them.
The Solar Plexus Chakra is also associated with our personal values and beliefs. When this chakra is balanced, we have a strong sense of self and know what we stand for. However, if it is blocked or imbalanced, we may struggle to define our values and may feel lost or unsure of ourselves.
To strengthen your Solar Plexus Chakra, take some time to reflect on your values and what is truly important to you. Write them down and use them as a guide for making decisions and setting boundaries in your relationships. By living in alignment with your values, you are honoring yourself and building a strong sense of integrity.
When you lack a firm understanding of your own values, you will tend to follow the values and beliefs of others, resulting in a loss of authenticity and inner conflict. You also can’t take appropriate action if your values are unclear. Knowing and living by your values will help you stay true to yourself and make decisions that align with your true desires.
Remember that your values may change over time, so continue to check in with yourself regularly and make adjustments as needed.
5. Let go of unhealthy or toxic relationships.
As we strengthen our Solar Plexus Chakra, we may also become aware that some of our relationships are not serving us well. This chakra is closely connected to our personal power and self-esteem, so if we are in relationships that constantly drain us or make us feel small, it can greatly affect our energy flow.
Take a look at your relationships and identify if there is any power struggle or imbalance of power. Are there people who constantly make you doubt yourself or put you down? These are signs of an unhealthy relationship and if setting boundaries doesn’t work, it may be time to let them go.
It can be difficult to end relationships, especially if they have been a part of our lives for a long time. The other party may also feel hurt or upset by your change. But remember that by letting go of toxic relationships, we are creating space for healthier and more supportive connections to come into our lives. We are also allowing ourselves to be our true empowered selves.
You deserve to be in relationships that support and uplift you, not bring you down. And always remember, the most important relationship is the one with yourself.
6. Nourish your body and mind with healthy habits.
The Solar Plexus Chakra is also associated with our digestive system. To keep this chakra balanced, it is important to nourish our bodies and be mindful of what we eat. Eating foods that are rich in nutrients and avoiding processed or unhealthy foods can help keep our digestive system working properly. You can also incorporate more yellow foods into your diet, such as bananas, corn, and pineapple. These foods not only align with the color of the Solar Plexus Chakra but also provide nourishment for the body.
It is also important to take care of our mental and emotional well-being. The Solar Plexus Chakra is where we process our emotions. If we overload it with too many negative thoughts and emotions, it can cause blockages. Engaging in self-care practices such as meditation, yoga, or journaling can help us release any pent-up stress in our bodies. You may also seek therapy or support when needed.
Additionally, being in the sun helps to activate and balance the Solar Plexus Chakra as fire is the element for this chakra. So if you are deficient in energy, make sure to spend some time outdoors and charge up your third chakra. The sun is a good source of vitality and can help you feel more energized and confident.
Signs of Solar Plexus Chakra Opening
When the Solar Plexus Chakra is balanced and open, you may experience some of the following signs:
- Increased self-confidence
- Better digestion and fewer stomach issues
- Have a positive outlook on life and become more optimistic
- Feel empowered to take on challenges
- Ability to assert yourself and stand up for what you believe in without fear
- Improved decision-making
- Increased motivation and a strong drive to achieve your goals.
If you notice these signs, it is a good indication that your Solar Plexus Chakra is open and functioning properly.
The Solar Plexus Chakra is an essential energy center that plays a crucial role in our overall well-being. It governs our self-esteem, confidence, and sense of personal power. When this chakra is balanced and open, we feel empowered and we radiate positive energy, attracting abundance into our lives.
The Solar Plexus Chakra and the Heart Chakra are closely connected. While the Solar Plexus Chakra governs personal power, the Heart Chakra represents love and compassion. The Heart Chakra helps us transcend our ego and form meaningful connections with others.
Read my article on Heart Chakra to learn more.
Alternatively, you can find the complete list of blog posts on chakras below: