Disclosure: There might be affiliate links on this page. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This means I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links but it will be at no additional cost to you.
Spiritual awakening is the process of discovering and connecting with your Divine self, which is the highest version of yourself.
In this blog post, we will learn what a spiritual awakening feels like and its two main causes.
But first, let’s clear up the biggest confusion that most people have about spiritual awakening.
What is the Difference Between Awakening and Enlightenment?
Spiritual awakening is not the same as spiritual enlightenment. Though both are related and involve an expansion of consciousness, important distinctions exist between them.
Awakening is when you become aware of the spiritual world, whereas enlightenment is when you have reached a complete understanding of your true nature and are in union with the Divine. If awakening is like the start of your spiritual journey, then enlightenment is its completion, representing a more advanced stage of spiritual growth.
A typical misconception is that spiritual awakening automatically translates to spiritual enlightenment. However, having spiritual awareness or insight does not mean you can maintain it or integrate it into your life.
After our initial awakening, we tend to forget about our true selves and lose our connection with the Divine while we navigate through life. This awakening and forgetting can happen repeatedly, similar to how we fall asleep at night and wake up in the morning.
What Does an Awakening Feel Like?
Spiritual awakening feels like a rebirth. When someone undergoes a spiritual awakening they may experience changes in their perception of reality, a shift in perspective, or a new sense of clarity.
People often describe feeling more in tune with their inner self and the world around them. They may also experience unexplainable feelings of joy or peace, an increased desire to help others, or an enhanced awareness of nature.
However, people can also feel disconnected, isolated, and intense pain during this drastic transformation, depending on which stage they are in.
What Causes Spiritual Awakening?
Spiritual awakening can be triggered by a number of things, including an illness or trauma, life-altering experiences, certain practices such as meditation and prayer, or simply by getting older and gaining more wisdom.
The process can also be sparked by spiritual teachers and mentors who have already attained enlightenment. They often help others reach this level of consciousness with their teachings and guidance.
Spiritual awakening can be attributed to two primary causes: one ignited by the spirit and the other by the ego. However, they differ in their essence and impact on one’s journey of self-discovery.
Let’s explore these two paths further.
The Spirit Path
Everyone is on their path to spiritual awakening even if they are not conscious of it. Our spirit is always looking for an opportunity to nudge us in the direction of awakening.
Spiritual awakening often occurs when we are ready to let go of old beliefs, patterns, and habits that no longer serve us. That’s because, when our spirit recognizes an opening for us to grow, it brings us a series of events to accelerate our awakening. Here are some examples:
- A dear friend gave you a transformative self-help or spiritual book that has been instrumental in helping you release the burdens of your past. Its profound teachings have empowered you to embark on a journey of growth, healing, and self-discovery.
- While aimlessly exploring the internet, you serendipitously came across an article that brought fresh perspectives and new insights into your life.
- The person who had hurt you badly in the past unexpectedly offered their apology.
- A book fell off the shelf one day, prompting you to embark on a transformative journey.
- The Universe brings forth individuals who help you awaken, such as a twin flame, spiritual teacher, or spiritual community. These connections serve as catalysts for personal growth, guiding us toward a deeper understanding of ourselves and the world around us.
The Universe has many creative ways of helping you connect with the spiritual dimension. But sometimes, you may not even be aware of it. One event leads to another, and before you know it, you are spiritually awakened.
The Ego Path
The ego path is one that we are more likely to be aware of due to the intense emotions we experience along the way. Some of us may experience depression and anxiety, often known as the Dark Night of the Soul.
Many of us are awakened only when we face major disruptions in our lives. Our ego leads us down a destructive path and we suffer so much that we decide to let go of the ego’s perspective. Thus, allowing the spirit to emerge.
However, we often receive warnings beforehand but choose to ignore them. For example:
- Your physical symptoms suggest that you have been overworking, but you refused to listen until you had chronic diseases that stopped you from working.
- Your intuition warns you about a bad decision, but you choose to ignore it until the consequences of that decision come back to haunt you.
- You were advised by your friends and family, but you didn’t take it seriously until things got worse.
- Your family warns you to leave a toxic relationship, but you stay until the relationship becomes unbearable.
- You keep doing the same things, hoping for a different outcome. However, nothing changes and you feel depressed.
These are some examples of how our ego can lead us down a path to spiritual awakening. They often come with painful lessons that we could have avoided if we had opened up to the signs earlier.
22 Common Signs and Symptoms of Spiritual Awakening
There are many signs that someone is going through a spiritual awakening. Here is a list of 22 common signs and symptoms of spiritual awakening:
- You feel deeply connected to other people, animals, and the Earth.
- You develop greater compassion for yourself and others.
- You want time alone despite feeling more connected with others.
- Your relationships get affected by your sudden change of priorities and interests.
- You experience a transformative shift in perspective from the ego to the spirit.
- You let go of your past trauma and focus on the present moment.
- You feel a shift in the way you perceive reality.
- You make unexpected changes in your lifestyle.
- You have a greater purpose in life and work.
- You feel very lost and confused.
- You feel the presence of something bigger than yourself.
- You become more sensitive to the energy of those around you.
- You have a stronger desire to help others.
- You allow others to suffer and experience their own journey.
- You become more intuitive and trusting of your intuition.
- You receive spontaneous insights and become more creative.
- There is a feeling of being guided.
- You start to notice synchronicities that you previously had ignored.
- You experience feelings of deep peace and serenity.
- You are more aware of your emotions, including those intense ones.
- You experience physical changes to reflect your true, authentic self.
- You appreciate small little things.
The signs and symptoms of spiritual awakening listed above are not exhaustive, and they may vary from person to person. You may not experience all of the signs listed or you may have symptoms that aren’t listed. Therefore, you should use your own discernment when determining if you are truly spiritually awakened.
However, the universal experience among people who have undergone a spiritual awakening is that all of them experienced a significant shift in their lives that cannot be ignored. Your life will never be the same again once you are spiritually awakened, and you will know it.
For a more detailed explanation of each sign, please read my article on the 22 signs of spiritual awakening.
What Are the 8 Stages of Spiritual Awakening?
There are eight distinct stages of spiritual awakening, each with its own vibe and purpose. Not everyone will experience them all or in the same order.
Here is a summary of the 8 stages:
Stage 1 – The Unconscious
Every one of us starts our spiritual journey unconsciously. We live with limited awareness and are either unaware of the spiritual dimension or have doubts about it.
Stage 2 – The Trigger
Spiritual awakening often happens when we experience a triggering event. This event can be sudden or gradual, and it can be something that causes pain like an accident or something spontaneous.
Stage 3 – The Dark Night of the Soul
The “Dark Night of the Soul” is a stage of profound sadness and confusion. It is a time of deep questioning, searching for answers, and confronting fear. During this transitional period, we may feel lost and confused as we shift our focus from our ego to our spirit. While we recognize that the ego’s perspective is no longer beneficial, we have not yet established a deep connection with our spirit.
Stage 4 – The Awakening
The awakening is a phase in which we gain a deeper understanding of the spiritual world. We may have moments of insight, clarity, or understanding that help us to realize our true selves. We also become aware of the spiritual energy present in all life and its importance in guiding our actions. At this stage, many of us feel a sense of peace, love, and connection to all things.
Stage 5: The Exploration
In the exploration stage, we experiment with various spiritual paths and practices to discover which ones work best for us. We also read spiritual books and texts or listen to spiritual teachings to expand our understanding of spirituality.
Stage 6: The Isolation
The isolation stage occurs when we feel disconnected from the world around us. During this period, we may become introspective and spend more time in solitude as a way of connecting with our true selves. We strive to make sense of our spiritual experiences and find peace within ourselves.
Stage 7: The Integration
During this stage, we integrate our spiritual understanding and insights into our everyday lives. We become comfortable with our spiritual beliefs and practices and are able to apply them in meaningful ways. We learn to embrace the world around us and engage with it with a more grounded energy. This is a time for growth, healing, and transformation.
Stage 8: The Calling
The final stage of spiritual awakening is the calling. We feel called to use our spiritual gifts in service to others, and we become open to connecting with divine energy in a more tangible way. This is a time of great clarity and purpose as we step into our power and strive to live an authentic life aligned with our deepest truth.
For more information on each stage, please read my article on the 8 Transformative Stages of Spiritual Awakening or watch the video below.
How Long Does Spiritual Awakening Last?
Each spiritual awakening typically lasts for more than a year. However, it depends on the stages one undergoes and how well one navigates the process.
Furthermore, our spiritual journey is made out of a series of awakenings, each focusing on a specific aspect of your life. When one awakening ends, another begins. So if you were to add up all your spiritual awakening experiences, it will last for decades. Spiritual awakening is a never-ending process that begins from the day you had your initial awakening to the day that you pass on.
For more information on how long each stage typically lasts, please read my article on the spiritual awakening stages.
As you go through this journey of spiritual awakening, it is important to stay open to what comes up for you. Connecting with the Divine is a process that can bring unexpected joy, insight, and understanding into your life.
Whether you want to have a spiritual awakening or are already in the midst of one, there are many paths you can take on your spiritual journey. Please read this article to explore the seven different types of spirituality.
Featured Photo Credit: Andrea Piacquadio